In a Motor Vehicle Crash?

What should I do if I am involved in a Motor Vehicle Crash?

  •  Obtain the other person's information: Name, address, insurance company, license number/state, phone number, vehicle information (plate, make, model).
  • Call the police if there has been any personal injury or if you need assistance in exchanging information.
  •  Fill out a Registry of Motor Vehicle Crash Report.  According to M.G.L Chapter 90, Section 26 the person operating the vehicle is required to fill this out if:
    • 1. Any person was killed or injured.
    • 2. there was damage to any one vehicle or other property in excess of $1,000.
  • Mail your the RMV Report to the Registry of Motor Vehicle  (Crash Records, Registry of Motor Vehicle, P.O. Box 55889, Boston, MA 02205-5889), the police department where the crash occurred, and your insurance company.
  • Obtain a copy of your crash report.
    • You can obtain a copy of any police crash report from the Registry of Motor Vehicles Website: Here
    • Check with the police department where the crash occurred for their policy.
    • If the crash occurred in Burlington see the instructions below.
Were you in a Motor Vehicle Crash in Burlington?

This is what you need to do:
  • Notify your insurance company.  
  •  Fill out a Registry of Motor Vehicle Report; this report is due within 5 days of your Crash, if there is damage over $1,000 to any one vehicle or other property or if there is ANY personal injury. 
    • Once completed send one to The Registry of Motor Vehicle in Boston (Crash Records, Registry of Motor Vehicle, P.O. Box 55889, Boston, MA 02205-5889). The Burlington police department ( Burlington Police Attn: Records 45 Center St. Burlington, MA 01803), and your insurance company.  
    • If the location of your crash was on Interstate 95/Route 128 or Route 3 then your crash report should be mailed to one of the following addresses: 
        • For crashes occurring on the northbound side of I-95:  Massachusetts State Police Accident Reporting 485 Maple St. Danvers, MA 01923 
        • For crashes occurring on the southbound side of I-95 or on Route 3Massachusetts State Police Accident Reporting, 906 Elm St. Concord, MA 01742
    • If you need information on the other person involved go here and indicate in your request that you need the Operator Exchange form, or you can come into the department and request this during business hours. The information will not ill be provided over the telephone.
    • You can obtain a blank copy of this report here or pick one up at your local police department.  The RMV website also has one available here.
  • Your insurance company may request a copy of the crash report from the following location:
    • All operator reports must be turned in prior to the release of crash reports.
    • If operator reports are not turned in, the report cannot be released.
  • If there is an error (spelling or incorrect data) contact the Officer that responding and he will be able to fix the error.  If you have specific concerns about your crash you may speak with the Officer or the Officer's supervisor.  If you have questions regarding who is at fault please contact your insurance company as the police department will not determine who is at fault.