Available free of charge from your Library
- MVLC Digital Downloads (library eBooks via Overdrive) - borrow books to read or listen to on your computer or compatible device. No fees. All you need is your library card! Watch help video.
- hoopla - Borrow Audiobooks, Comics, Movies, eBooks, Music, and TV shows with your library card and a free account.
- Safari Tech Books Online - a digital library of more than 30,000 books dealing with technology, web development, java, technical certification, project management, enterprise computing, security and operating systems, networking and more. Books cannot be downloaded to an eReader. Available to anyone with an MVLC Library card. [Note: you'll need both your library card number and your library account password, often the last four digits of your home phone. If you have problems logging in, call the reference desk at 781-270-1691.]
- Tumblebooks - Animated talking books for children, available to anyone with a Burlington Public Library card. Books cannot be downloaded to an eReader.
There are many sources for free eBooks. Books from free sources are usually copyright free materials or classic books that are in the public domain.
- BiblioBoard- Digital collections of books, images, articles, audio, and video. These materials are curated by subject. Read the documents and books online or create an account with your library card to download. This collection is great for researchers and browsers. Many books in this collection are older and in the public domain.
- Bookbub - Sign up on this commercial website to get alerts about limited-time free or discounted eBooks. Bookbub does not sell eBooks. Rather, they alert you via email about special offers from retailers like Amazon's Kindle store, Barnes & Noble's Nook store, Apple's iBookstore, and others.
- Google Books - Google Books provides access to eBooks in the following manner: if the book is out of copyright or the publisher has given permission, Google provides a preview of the book and in some cases the entire text.
- HathiTrust Digital Library - a partnership of academic and research institutions, offering a collection of millions of titles digitized from libraries around the world.
- Internet Archive - 5 million books and items including a wide range of literature, historic texts, research materials and thematic collections.
- ManyBooks.net -- more than 29,000 free eBooks available for Kindle, Nook and iPad
- Open Library - Growing collection of 20th century titles can be borrowed for 2 weeks and read in browser or downloaded as a PDF or ePub. To borrow, one must open a free account.
- Planet eBook -- Classic novels in electronic format.
- Project Gutenberg - Over 40,000 free books to download in epub or kindle format, or to read online. Variety of languages available. These are books whose copyrights have expired.