The Burlington Department of Public Works, directed by John Sanchez,
located on the second floor of the Town Hall Annex 25 Center Street.
The Department helps maintain the safety and beauty of Burlington.
For More information please contact the DPW at 781-270-1670
Trash and Recycle Calendar 2020.2021
Republic Services: 800-442-9006Realtor/Attorney Final Inspection Form
2nd Water Meter Residential ONLY Guidelines
DPW Cross Connection Application
Backflow Prevention Device Design Data Sheet
Renter Landlord Agreement Form
Due to the limited production capacity at the Vine Brook Treatment Facility caused by the 1,4 dioxane contamination of drinking water wells, I am requesting that a Water Supply Emergency be declared for the Town of Burlington to allow the opening of the Town of Lexington water connection.
Through the enforcement of the outdoor watering restrictions we have been able to maintain an average water demand for this summer to below 3.5 mgd. However, the Vine Brook treatment facility is not sufficient to supply the distribution system while the Mill Pond Treatment Plant is off-line for required maintenance, repairs and upgrades. As such, a connection with Lexington is needed in order to complete cleaning and upgrades of the sedimentation basin at Mill Pond.
Therefore, I am recommending that a non-essential outdoor water use restriction be approved for all users from September 30, 2020 to March 30, 2021.
The following uses are prohibited by this restriction:
- Irrigation of lawns via sprinkler or automatic irrigation systems
The following uses are permitted on any day at any time:
- Watering of gardens, flowers, and ornamental plantings by means of a hand-held hose only.
- Car washing and filling of pools
- To meet core functions of a business or commercial activity
- Applying necessary surface treatments (aka washing exterior surfaces) such as paint, preservatives, stucco, pavement, or cement.
Exemptions for establishing new lawns are given only during the months of April, May, September, and October, and only by written permission from the DPW.
According to the Town Bylaws Section 5.4 the Town, through its Board of Selectmen, may declare a State of Water Conservation. Section 5.9 states the Penalties for violating the Water Restriction are:
- Any person violating shall be issued a warning for the first violation, shall be liable to the Town in the amount of $50 for the second violation, and $100 for each subsequent violation thereafter.
- These fines are non-criminal disposition.
MWRA Water Conservation and Efficieny Info
Details and links are provided below:
- Low Flow Toilets
- Water-Efficient Appliances
- Tips for Saving Water at Home (pdf)
- Water-saving Tips for Lawns & Gardens
- Rain Barrel Information
if your pink bag is not picked up by Simple Recycling you need to contact them directly at either the website www.simplerecycling.com or by calling 866-835-5068.
Route 3A Cambridge Street is under the jurisdiction of the State - MassDOT District 4. They are responsible for filling Potholes as well as the sanding/salting and plowing of the snow on this road. If you have any questions or issues or want to report a pothole, etc. please contact them at:
MassDOT District 4
519 Appleton St
Arlington, MA 02476
The DPW web site is maintained by Terri Keene: email@example.com