Public Health Nurse
Andria Nemoda, RN
As Public Health Nursing evolves, the Board of Health Nursing Office is continually evaluating the programs offered to better serve the community of Burlington. Our services (interventions) will continue to be aimed at health promotion and disease prevention with the goal of improving and protecting the health of the Burlington community. Based on the assessed needs of the community our interventions will be population and individual focused, and will be specifically planned to produce desired outcomes to reflect the health needs and priorities of the Burlington community. To accomplish our goals we will apply health objectives of HEALTHY PEOPLE 2010, a comprehensive set of national disease prevention and health promotion objectives applied at the local level.
We will continue to provide MDPH mandated services of communicable disease investigation and control, Mantoux skin testing for Tuberculosis, adult and child immunization programs, and pediatric lead testing, as well as expanding our role in emergency preparedness and response. Other responsibilities include annual inspections of tanning establishments and recreational camps.
**The Nursing Office has vaccines available for all children thru the age of 19 regardless of insurance coverage. Please call the office for details and an appointment.**
At the present time, the Board of Health cannot offer Mantoux skin testing. Please check with your doctor or a community health clinic.
News/Health Topics from the Nurse's Office
Medical Sharps disposal - Information for Residents
HEALTHCARE FOR ALL - a movement of people and organizations in Massachusetts with the goal of creating a health care system that is responsive to the needs of all people, particularly the most vulnerable. More details Healthcare For All Website
The following services are offered by our office:
WALK-IN BLOOD PRESSURE MONITORING CLINIC – First and third Tuesdays of each month, 9am to noon; second Wednesday of each month, 9am to noon. Click here for List of Walk-in Blood Pressure Clinic Dates.
BY APPOINTMENT OR DURING WALK-IN CLINIC:
- Blood Pressure - appointments will be made for new clients for evaluation. Returning clients who would like a blood pressure reading are encouraged to attend our walk-in clinics.
- Mantoux Skin Test for TB
- Pediatric Blood Lead Testing
- Communicable disease follow-up: acute and chronic
- Community needs assessment
- In-home assessment and evaluation
- Homebound residents - all services provided in the office are available to homebound residents. Call the Nurses' Office for more information.
- Access to health care for all through:
- Lahey Community Clinic
- Health insurance resources
- Referral to other community agencies
- Disease Prevention and Health Maintenance Programs
- Flu and Pneumonia vaccinations
- Periodic cancer screenings
- Smoking cessation referrals
- Individualized service on request
- Periodic community lipid profile screenings - dates will be announced on this website, B-cat and local newspapers
- Periodic community blood sugar screenings - dates will be announced on this website, B-cat and local newspapers
- Education Programs
- Current health issues
- Nutrition Education
- General Health Consultation